3.15.2009

tribe

Call it clan, call it family, call it tribe. Whatever it is, GET one. You NEED one.

Seriously. I mean, what's the point of having experiences if you have no one to share them with?

I mean, even as a parent. If you're a couple and you've got kids, you've got to know other people. Your children have to learn more interaction than 'just those kids at school' and frankly, as they grow up and go through their own things, its a good idea to have people you love and trust around so if your child doesn't feel as if you are approachable with a topic, they can go to their favorite 'aunt' or 'uncle' and talk - which keeps you in the loop and hopefully keeps the kiddoes out of harm.

I see the potentionals of a lot of danger. I've got a daughter on the brink of blossoming into womanhood and I can admit it, I'm scared. She seems to have a good head on her shoulders, is logical and practical, and I want her to feel as if she's got a large support base. And she does. Believe me, she does. But sometimes kids have to see it as well as just know it.

And there's where you come in.

Maybe the family you're born to isn't the greatest. And you can't change them. That's okay. As adults, we kind of pick and choose our own family - just pick wisely and make sure that you nuture your friendships. Just like a plant, it needs attention to grow.

So let that be your meditation for the day. Where is your tribe?

No comments: