1.23.2011

The Gay Bar

Okay, so I'm getting older. Going out doesn't have the same kind of fun as it used to. Generally, it's kinda lame. People are out there sharking for a hook-up, or they're getting well past their limitations on alcohol. So why bother?

But every now and then, I get talked into it. Tonight was one of those nights.

Now, given the choice, I love going to the gay bars. Gay bars are more fun. Honestly. And I've got a lot of straight friends that don't get that. But let me explain.

If you go to a 'straight' bar, you deal with a lot of bullshit going in. You get open hostility from members of the same sex, or you are immediately estimated/devalued/examined like a piece of meat or trophy. They're very snotty, judgmental, and frankly, most of the time, they're just really assholes to who they brought, and even less cordial to strangers.

Firstly, the only thing you really have to worry about OUTSIDE of a gay bar is the narrow-minded assholes who like to harass and beat up gay people. When you take that out of the equation, very rarely (from any of the gay bars *I* went to) do you ever hear about people fighting outside in the parking lot. The 'worst' thing that I ever got out in a parking lot by a gay man or lesbian woman was someone bumming a ride to somewhere. You don't hear about 'gay' gang fights, or lesbian serial killers stalking parking lots.

What most people don't understand is that when you go to a 'gay' bar, it's not just gays and lesbians. It's pre-op, it's post-op, trans-gender, cross-dressing, hermaphrodites, metrosexual, bisexual, straight...WHATEVER. They fly their colors, they show their pride, but really, it's not about their sexual orientation or their bodies, it's about tolerance and acceptance. Having respect for differences. And I don't really bat an eye. I can sit down across from a man in a beaded gown and falsies and be okay with that. Hell, I have no problem telling 'her' that 'she' looks amazing tonight. So the hell what? I become the minority, but I'm still greeted by passer-bys with cheer and smiles. They find out I'm straight, and it really makes no difference in the way I'm treated, which is generally very amicably.

I don't need a degree in psychology to know that people need acceptance and love. WHO we love in this day in age is the least of our problems. At least it's a little more love to go around. So given the choice to go out to the 'hot new club downtown' or a 'Cheers-atmopshere gay bar'? Gay bar, hands down, every time.

No comments: