1.27.2011

Midnight....

So, I really did take the time to read this book recently.

Which is cool. It's been a while since I read something just for the pleasure of it. My schedule doesn't allot me a lot of time, and when I have time, recently, all I really want to do is sleep. But after someone mentioned to me that this book actually spurred them to go all the way to Savannah, Georgia...well, I wanted to see.

Now the book is beautiful. The descriptions are whole and have an otherworldliness about them, even as mostly 'nonfiction' as the writer says it is. Funny part is, I actually saw it as charming and pleasant reading, but...for me, not wholly shocking. Just a very pretty picture of things through someone else's eyes.

I say this, because I start recounting tales of my adventures throughout my life. I can't say it was on such a grand scale when money is concerned, but the richness and fullness of the characters...I see that in day-to-day life. In fact, my world is filled with interesting characters, and some people look at my ease and delight in people as a bit eccentric sometimes, I think. But it's the sheer enjoyment I have of people.

In the professional realm, sometimes I wonder what my peers think of me. Some know me a little better than just within the limitations of my job, and they do not say too much about what or who I am. That suits me fine, as long as that doesn't become a strange topic of conversation. However, watching their interactions, their idiosyncrasies, and manner fills me with fascination. As an old friend used to say, "Your stories got stories." Yup. I'd have to say so.

Anyway, interesting read if you're into the sociological aspects of southern gentry. Don't look for a point. It doesn't really have a point, not as far as stories go. It is just kind of a 'time in the life of..' book. It has characters which are described vividly. And even if you're into stories with very specific points and that idea doesn't appeal to you, it's a well-written book for a casual read.




No comments: